Travel plans not only involve excitement and fun, but they also come along with tons of other important things like planning, packing and other preparations. One of the most important things which comes under the preparation of travelling is acquainting yourself well with the policies of the airline with which you are flying. Every airline has its own policies, and it is necessary that you should be completely aware of all these policies so that you don’t come across any problem while travelling and have a comfortable experience.
One of the most popular airlines is the Southwest Airlines. Just like any other airline, it has its own set of policies. If you are planning to travel by Southwest Airlines in the near future, then this article is going to be very helpful for you because we are going to discuss in this article everything that you need to know about the ‘Southwest Airlines Baggage policy. So without keeping you waiting any longer, let’s begin!
What is Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy?
Let us first try to understand what is exactly the ‘Southwest Airlines Baggage policy. The ‘Southwest Airlines Baggage policy is the policy about what kind of and how much of baggage can you carry with yourself while flying with the Southwest Airlines. This baggage policy is not consistent in all cases. It varies depending on the destination, class and various other factors.
For regular basic fares, the ‘Southwest Airlines Baggage policy is as follows:
- In case of carry-on baggage, one personal item and one carry on item is allowed free of charge.
- In case of checked baggage, two bags are allowed and if you want to carry more than two bags, then you will have to pay fees for that.
- If your bags exceed the specified weight and dimensions limit, then fees will be applicable depending on the weight and size.
- If you are carrying sports equipment with yourself, then carrying certain items will be chargeable.
The sections below will tell you all about the baggage policy in detail.
Southwest Airlines Carry-on Baggage Policy
According to the ‘Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy, one carry-on bag and one personal item is allowed per passenger for free. The carry-on baggage is subject to the following restrictions:
- The dimensions must not exceed 50 linear inches (24 x 16 x 10 in) or 127 centimeters (61 x 41 x 28 cm). This includes the handles and wheels.
- The carry-on baggage must comfortably fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
- The personal item you are carrying must be of such a size that it easily fits under the seat in front of you.
Here, we would also like to inform you that the following items will not be counted against the personal item limit:
- Assistive or mobility devices for disabled people. There is no limit on the number of such devices a person can carry onboard.
- Food for eating in flight in disposable packaging.
- Umbrellas or walking canes.
- Articles of clothing like cap, coats, shawls etc.
- A child restraint device for a child who is ticketed.
Southwest Airlines Checked Bag Policy
The ‘Southwest Airlines Checked Bag Policy is as follows:
- Two standard bags are allowed. The maximum number of bags which are allowed is 10.
- The maximum dimensions of each bag must not be more than 62 inches or 157 centimeters.
- The maximum weight of each bag must not be more than 50 pounds or 23 kilograms.
Fees for Baggage on Southwest Airlines
Many people have this question in mind that is there any fees for carrying baggage on Southwest Airlines? The answer is yes, there are fees for carrying baggage as per the ‘Southwest baggage policy, but only when you want to carry more than two checked bags. The first two checked bags will be absolutely free. If you want to carry more than two checked bags, then you will be required to pay fees for that. There are some exceptional cases in which the fee is waived if you are carrying more than two bags. These situations are if you are either an active US Military Personnel or you are dependent.
Southwest Airlines fee for excess baggage
As per the ‘Southwest Airlines Baggage policy, you will be charged, if you are carrying more than two checked bags with yourself. The airlines will be charging $75 for every extra bag that you carry while travelling. So you need to keep in mind that if you are carrying more than two bags, you will be liable to pay fee for excess baggage. So you have two options. You either adjust your things in two bags, or you have to be ready to pay for the extra baggage. You can choose whichever option suits you, depending on your requirements.
Southwest Airlines fee for overweight baggage
If your baggage exceeds the specified limit, then you will be required to pay for that. If you are carrying bags the weight of which exceeds the standard limit of 50 pounds or 23 kg, then the rules are as follows:
- For the bags weighing between 51 and 100 pounds or 24 to 46 kilograms, the travellers are required to pay $75 per extra bag.
- Those bags whose weight crosses 100 pounds or 46 kilograms will not accepted. So you have to make sure that the bags you carry don’t exceed the weight limit of 100 pounds or 46 kg else your luggage will be rejected.
Southwest Airlines fee for oversized baggage
If the bags you are carrying exceed the specified dimensions, then you will be required to pay charges. As per the ‘Southwest Airlines Baggage policy, the rules for oversized baggage are as follows:
- For the bags, the dimensions of which range from 115 linear inches or from 160 to 292 centimeters, the travellers will be liable to pay $75 per bag.
- Bags which are greater than 115 linear inches or 292 centimeters will not be accepted. Therefore, you need to make sure that your bags don’t exceed the specified size limit, else your luggage will be rejected.
Southwest Airlines policy for Sports equipment
If you are carrying sports equipment with yourself, then you might have to pay charges depending on the type of equipment. We recommend going through the website once and reading the rules for the type of sports equipment you are carrying so that you are clear about the charges that you will be required to pay for the type of sports equipment you are carrying while travelling.
Southwest Airlines policy for CPAP devices
CPAP devices or PAP devices are allowed for carrying for use in flights. These devices are not counted as carry on. You are also not required to notify in advance if you are carrying these devices. To have more precise details about carrying CPAP devices, check out the website.
It is also recommended to tag your checked bags with your personal details so that in case your baggage is lost, the lost and found team at the airport can return it to you easily. In your personal details, you have to add your full name and phone number.
This was all that you were required to know about the ‘Southwest baggage policy. We hope that the article was successful in explaining everything to you with utmost clarity. In case you still have any doubt in your mind, you can visit the official website and read everything in detail. If you have any problem, or you have any doubt regarding any policy then you can call the customer support number and talk to a live person who will listen to the problems you are facing and will help in resolving them. The live person will also listen to all your doubts and will explain everything to you with clarity. For instance, you have doubts about ‘Southwest Airlines reservations, Southwest Airlines cancellation,
Southwest Airlines flight change, Southwest Airlines low fare calendar or Southwest Airlines vacations packages, you can contact the customer support team and get your issues resolved.
So if you are planning to travel with Southwest Airlines, we recommend going through the website properly and read everything thoroughly so that you are completely aware about everything and don’t face any problem while travelling. After all who wants to worry about luggage when they are out having fun on their vacation?