No traveller wants to hear that their flight has been delayed or, even worse, that their flight has been cancelled. Sometimes the circumstances don’t allow it, and the flight has to be delayed or cancelled. The airline also at times does not have any option except to cancel the flight. This surely does not work in favour of the passengers who had important plans but through its flight cancellation policy, KLM tries its best to compensate for the cancelled or delayed flights. As per the KLM flight cancellation policy, passengers might be able to get their money back and claim up to €600.
|KLM Cancellation Fees or Charges|
|Economy||$100-$500 for all International and Domestic flights|
|Premium Comfort Class||$100-$500 for all International and Domestic flights|
|Business Class||$100-$500 for all International and Domestic flights|
In this article, we are going to discuss all about the KLM flight cancellation policy and how much compensation are the passengers entitled to receive. So without further ado, let’s start reading about the KLM flight cancellation policy.
KLM Flight Cancellation policy
The KLM flight cancellation policy is a very convenient and simple one which ensures that no or minimum inconvenience is caused to the travellers. Because of KLM flight cancellations, if your journey is affected, you are entitled for compensation.
To ensure that the airlines are discouraged from cancelling flights at the last moment, Europe has created a set of clear air passenger rights, which is known as EC 261. Under the KLM flight cancellations policy, if the flight has been cancelled less than 14 days before it was due for departure, then every passenger must be paid up to €600 as compensation.
Since every effort is made to ensure that no disruption is caused to the passengers, the passengers are not entitled to receive any compensation if they are offered a replacement flight which arrives at a very similar time to the original flight.
Also, keep in mind that if you have made KLM reservations, the airline will not be paying you any compensation if some extraordinary circumstances happen which make flight cancellation necessary. For instance, sometimes, the airline has no alternative left except to cancel the flight due to some incident which happens at the airport or due to extremely bad weather. Since the airline is not responsible for the problem, they are not bound to pay the compensation. However, the airline will still have to offer the passengers a replacement flight or complete refund under the KLM reimbursement for cancelled flight.
Flights departing from the EU airports as well as flights arriving at the EU airports are covered under EC 261.
How much compensation is paid under KLM flight cancellation?
Talking about the compensation that is paid under the KLM Cancellation policy, it actually depends on the distance. For all the flights under 1500 km, the compensation is up to €250 per person. For the internal EU flights over 1,500 km, the compensation paid is up to €400 per person. For the non-internal EU flights between 1,500 – 3,500 km, the compensation paid is up to €400 per person. For the non-internal EU flights over 3,500 km, the compensation paid is up to €600 per person. The amount of compensation is according to what has been specified in EC 261.
KLM Cancel Flight
If you are travelling with friends or family and due to some circumstances, one of the members is not able to continue with the trip, then you can cancel the flight ticket of that person. You can do these changes by:
- The first step is to visit the official website of the KLM on the web browser of your choice on your device.
- After you open the official website, you are required to log in with your credentials.
- After logging in, you will have the homepage of the website displayed on your screen.
- On the homepage, you have to locate the option which says My Trip. The My Trip option contains all the details about your travel itinerary.
- After going to the option My Trip, you can make whatever changes you want to.
Remember that if your travel party consists of 10 or more passengers, then you need to contact the customer support team. The customer support team will help you in making changes to your travel itinerary.
If you want to cancel your flight, then you can do that as well on the option My Trip. You have to follow the above-mentioned steps and go to the option of My Trip. As you open the option of My Trip, you can go and cancel your flight. After you cancel your trip, you can also request a refund. But you need to know that the amount of refund depends on different factors like the route of your flight, your travel class, the type of ticket you hold etc. It is on the basis of these things that your amount of refund is decided.
If you want to cancel your trip and have made your KLM booking through a travel agent, then you need to directly contact your travel agent to cancel your trip.
Although you can very easily cancel your trip through the website by following the steps which we have mentioned above, if due to any reason, you are not able to cancel your trip or encounter any difficulty while cancelling your trip through the website then you can very easily reach out to the customer support team. The customer support team will listen to all your queries and will help you with the entire process of cancellation. Sometimes, the customer support number is very busy because many people dial the number at the same time (1800 419 3044 or 1800 998 6716). In such situations, we recommend you to be patient and keep dialling until your turn comes.
KLM Cancellation Policy Highlights
- According to KLM Cancellation policy, cancellation is only available for travellers who have confirmed bookings.
- Passengers who wish to cancel their KLM flight ticket must fill out an application form or call the KLM Helpline number within 24 hours of making their reservation in order to receive a full refund.
- Passengers who fail to cancel their flight ticket within 24 hours of their flight reservation will be charged a cancellation fee by KLM.
- Passengers who want to take advantage of 24-hour ticket cancellations and refunds must make or finalise their flight reservation at least 7 days ahead of the flight’s scheduled departure time.
- Special bookings, such as those for disabled individuals, newborns, and others, are not cancelled by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
- Passengers will quickly be able to collect money or a refund after completing the ticket cancellation process, although the airline will deduct charges for the government and service tax.
- Only if the flight was cancelled or if the ticket was oversold is a refund possible.
- Once a KLM flight ticket is cancelled by meeting all of the cancellation and refund policy’s requirements, travellers will receive a refund or guaranteed amount of money in the same manner as they paid for the flight tickets previously, whether by debit card, credit card, or other means.
- Passengers should also check whether or not their ticket is refundable.
- You can easily claim or request a refund if the airline cancels the trip due to adverse weather conditions or technical defects or problems, and you are not interested in boarding an alternate flight.
- Because of an emergency, such as a death in the family or relatives, you must cancel a flight.
- If your domestic flight is delayed for more than 90 minutes, you are entitled to compensation. If your return trip is on the same day, you can get a refund by filling out an application form or going to the airport.
- If your flight was more than three hours late.
- If you bought a refundable ticket, you can get a refund.
- The KLM permits you to make modifications or make some necessary alterations three times for free.
- You can also modify your destination, timing, and other modifications without paying any additional fees by using KLM online service.
- In addition, according to the KLM delayed flight refund policy, if a passenger transfers to a higher ticket trip, he or she must pay the charges. However, if you are travelling on the same flight, you will not be charged a cancellation fee.
- If you change your flight for a cheaper price than your initial flight fare, you will not be compensated.
Getting a KLM Refund for a Cancelled Flight
When you cancel your KLM flight ticket, requesting or claiming a refund is a simple process, albeit a cancellation fee may be charged on an intra-European itinerary if the flight is delayed for more than 90 minutes.
The following are some methods for obtaining a refund under the policy:
- First and foremost, you must visit the KLM Airlines official website.
- Then you must just acquire or collect the most important and essential information from the flight refund policy.
- Then click on the refund policy and use the flight service’s additional tab to move on to the next step.
- To select Airport text, you must additionally select or choose an additional tab that will display your unique assistance.
- In addition, if your ticket conditions appear in the list, you can request a refund of any unused foreign surcharges that will not be returned.
- Simply click the refund button after completing this action, and then check the confirmation message or text that was sent to your phone or email address.
Is it possible to cancel a non-refundable KLM ticket?
Yes, non-refundable KLM tickets can be cancelled. If you cancel your tickets within 24 hours of booking, the airline will issue a full refund. However, if you cancel your tickets after 24 hours, the airline will charge you a KLM cancellation fee, which varies depending on your route and type of service. When you cancel a non-refundable ticket after the risk-free period, you will only be eligible for a refund of the government tax value; all other sums will be removed as a cancellation fee. If you cancel tickets online and pay with a Debit Card, Credit Card, or PayPal wallet, your refund amount will be reversed back into your account within seven business days.